The Negative Effects Of Sitting All Day
According to a recent study adults who sit for 10 plus hours a day have more than a 40% increased rate of dying sooner than those who sit less than 3 hours a day! ‘Bodies at rest…stay at rest. Bodies in motion.. stay in motion.’ Exercise and phsical activity has tremendous positive effects however, exercise alone does not necessarily protect you from the negative effects of prolonged inactivity and/or sitting around all day. The health benefits aerobic exercise include lowering the risk of heart attack, stroke and diabetes, and helping get a better night’s sleep.
*A primary key to avoid a sedentary lifestyle is to stay fit as as long as possible throughout your life. If kids start sports at a young age, they become accustomed to regular practices and competition and less likely to play video games and watch t.v. all day. An active lifestyle becomes a physically active routine that can carry on to adult life. The longer an individual is involved in organized athletics the easier it is to keep going after high school and college. There are many sports options. Pick ones that are fun and participate regularly.
1) 1 Hour Or Bust! Spend at least 1 hour a day of combined exercise and/ or physical activity. Multiple recent studies have shown that individuals who work out more than 45minutes a day will burn more fat calories than those who only exercise at one time for 30minutes or less per day. After 45minutes of exercise your body goes into a different high-calorie burning mechanism that burns calories faster and more efficiently. Don’t forget that it takes the body at least 10-15minutes just to warm-up and remember that sweating is a great thing. The more the better 🙂
2) Take Breaks! Stand at your desk more often if you need to in order to get your blood moving through your body more efficiently. Feel free to stretch out and walk around a bit to keep your muscles awake and flexible.
3) Hydrate! Drink lots of water and avoid high-sugar and high calorie sports drinks and/or soda. The more you hydrate, the better your muscles and body will be in order to be flexible and refreshed. Your body is made up of 60-70% water and if you are dehydrated the muscles in your body tend to cramp quickly and flexibility is lost. In addition, when you drink more water you will have to take more trips to the restroom which in turn gets you to walk around the office a bit more and keep your body moving! High sugar drinks lead to dehydration faster as the body works hard to break the sugar down which uses more water.
4) Do Calf And Leg Exercises While Sitting In Your Chair! Try raising your heels off the ground while sitting and flex your calf muscles in order to get the blood moving more throughout the bottom of your legs. This exercise will avoid the blood in your legs from ‘pooling’ and as a result less swelling in the ankles will occur.
5) Go For A Walk! Walking for as little as 10 minutes a week is a great first step toward meeting the recommended amount of 150 minutes per week of physical activity. Any kind of physical activity really is a wonder drug and it tends to make an individual healthier, happier, and live longer. Even if you don’t lose weight from walking, walkers can still reap health benefits from this low-impact form of exercise.
Train For A Cancer Research Event:
Every Breast Cancer walk is a powerful and inspiring opportunity to unite as a community to honor breast cancer survivors, raise awareness about steps we can take to reduce the risk of getting breast cancer, and raise money to help the American Cancer Society fight the disease with breast cancer research, information and services, and access to mammograms for women who need them. Each step you take is personal, and together we are helping to turn this walk into a celebration of life.
6) Standing Squat Exercises! Squat exercises are great for a total lower body workout. They effectively work most of the major muscle groups of the butt, hips and thighs. Squats are also a versatile exercise. They can be done in almost any location, with or without the use of weights or equipment.
Squat exercises thoroughly engage the quadriceps, hamstrings and calf muscles, which helps to tone and strengthen the legs and lift the butt. Slowing the motion down makes the workout that much more intense. Squats also engage the core muscles of the body. Abdominal and back muscles are needed to keep balance during the movement. The result is a tighter, flatter abdomen and a stronger lower back. Make a conscious effort to hold in your abdominal muscles while squatting down to increase this effect. Doing squats increases joint flexibility as the ankles, knees, hips and lower back are all utilized in the squatting motion.
Adding weights to your squat routine engages the muscles of the upper body, essentially giving you a full body workout in one exercise. You can accomplish this with the use of a barbell, dumbbells or a weighted vest. When adding weights to your routine, start with lighter ones and build as your strength increases.
7) Nutrition Is Everything…Take Juice Plus! I have been taking the Juice Plus nutritional products for over 3 years and have noticed substantial weight loss, more energy throughout the day, and leaned out. I currently have about 10 Olympic Athletes taking it as well as friends and family. I’ve lost over 10 lbs the right way and feel so good. My Juice Plus website takes a look and surf through this site and see what you think. I’m taking the Fruits and Veggies capsules which comes together in one order PLUS I’m also taking the vineyard capsules (purple bottle). I’m also taking the vanilla protein powder, Juice Plus Complete. This Protein nutritional shake is what contains all vegetable based protein and nutrients and it tastes amazing!
There are over 30 scientific studies done all over the world that proves this product actually does get absorbed into your system everyday. It’s like eating an extra 5-7 servings of fruits and veggies everyday into your system. That is really hard to do and this makes it really simple! 🙂
Keep a notebook of your workouts and have a schedule of training during each week. Have a plan and goal for the day and accomplish it. Plus keeping track of your time, workload, reps will help you reach your goals sooner and it will hold you accountable throughout the year to make sure you stay on track with the proper amount of exercise vs rest time. Workouts should include sets, reps, and exercise description.
9) Workout With A Friend! Working out with a friend or family member that is close to your fitness level and shares similar fitness goals can be a huge benefit.
Throughout your daily workout routine the lack of motivation, creativity, and accountability can reak havoc on your new years fitness and nutrition resolutions. By having a workout friend you can virtually eliminate all three of those issues. At Roworx in Long Beach there is a tremendous amount of commerderie to help us all get fit together during all of our amazing indoor rowing and bootcamp classes! Have a plan of action so that being active can be a part of your daily lifestyle.
10) Join Roworx! 🙂
Roworx believes in providing you with extremely experienced, energetic, knowledgeable instructors. We believe that you will see results sooner and prevent injury by maintaining efficient, safe technique. We believe that if you are having fun and engaging your mind as well as your body, you will be more consistent with your exercise plan and you will get fitter sooner. And…we believe there are no better exercises than the low-impact, calorie-burning, workouts with Indoor Rowing and Bootcamp classes.
Group Fitness Is The Best Fitness! Who has the time to workout, train, and be disciplined on fitness on their own? Studies show that we are motivated to work harder, show up more often, and push further past our perceived limits when training in a group. The results of one study suggest that endorphin release is significantly greater in group training than in individual training; this seems to be the case even when the individual’s power output, or physical exertion, is the same. Not only is it more fun to exercise with others, but it is safer and more efficient to exercise under the leadership of a good coach. With the help of our amazing instructors you are sure to have a great time in any of our four class programs that we have to offer.
Exercise Is Not A Luxury, It Is A Necessity!
Tags: Effects Of Sitting All Day, Group Fitness In Long Beach, Indoor Rowing Classes, Jack Nunn, juice plus, Log Your Workouts, Long Beach Bootcamp, Long Beach fitness classes, Roworx, Sedentary Lifestyle, Standing squat, Tower Garden, Workout With A Firend